Country Director - Jordan
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Working in Jordan since 2003, Mercy Corps implements a variety of programs focused on economic development, agriculture, water conservation, community strengthening, local governance, education and individual relief and development. Mercy Corps Jordan focuses on building a future in which all people feel secure, believe in the goodness of communities and institutions around them, and are on a sustainable path toward economic self-reliance. The country office operates with an experienced team of 175 staff working across a dozen grants and programs from a wide range of governmental, UN, private sector, individual and foundational donors. Programming is currently implemented in all 12 of the country’s governorates.
General Position Summary
The Country Director (CD) is the most senior management position for Mercy Corps in Jordan with supervisory and managerial responsibility over all in-country personnel, programs and policies. The CD is responsible for developing the overall strategic direction for programming in cooperation with Mercy Corps’ senior management team and local and international partners. They are also responsible for developing and implementing systems, policies and procedures for Mercy Corps’ operations in Jordan. The CD is responsible for financial oversight, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, staff security, human resource management, and representation in the field. The Country Director is a skilled communicator, able to develop and utilize strong relationships with staff, partners and donors. They will coordinate with their supervisor and be skilled at building highly effective working relationships with HQ. They will harness the expertise, experience and ideas of Mercy Corps’ diverse program support teams, including members of the Technical Support Unit, People and Strategy, Research and Learning, and Social Ventures teams and channel them into impactful partnerships with country programs. They will work with the country team to ensure that we learn from experience, thoroughly research and analyze context and develop high impact strategies that address both the current crises as well longer-term solutions.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Formulate and plan, in consultation with key stakeholders, a clear vision of present and future program goals and strategies which can be clearly communicated to team members, local beneficiaries, international partners, governmental counterparts, and donors.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve program and agency objectives.
- Evaluate program priorities within the country and participate in regional prioritization.
- Explore, evaluate and present new country and project funding opportunities that leverage impact and integrate initiatives and activities; support and direct related fund-raising activities with both institutional and private donors.
- Use technical support teams collaboratively.
REPRESENTATION AND INFLUENCE
- Represent Mercy Corps programs with national and international media and participate in community activities as appropriate.
- Maintain productive relationships with internal and external constituents such as partners, national government counterparts, peer agencies, the UN, private sector, etc.
- Anticipate needs, understand the donor pool and contribute to shaping donor’s views on development.
- Explore, evaluate and present innovative funding opportunities that support the country objectives as a whole.